How to Make a Bushwacker Drink
A Bushwacker drink will make you think of hot southern summer days, clear blue waters, white sand beaches, and warm star-filled southern nights.
In other words, the Bushwacker is the perfect southern beach cocktail even if you are nowhere near the ocean!
One of the most famous places in the US to drink a Bushwacker is the Flora-bama, a beach bar that straddles the Florida/Alabama state lines.
The Bushwacker cocktail originated at a bar in the US Virgin Islands. From there it quickly made it’s way to the Florida panhandle and the Alabama beaches and places like the Flora-Bama!
What I like about the Bushwacker is that it is cold and frothy and delicious. It’s the less tropical cousin to a pina colada and it tastes a bit like a boozy milkshake.
The Flora-Bama does not give out their Bushwacker recipe and you will find MANY different versions of this drink.
Some recipes actually add ice cream and are basically a milkshake.
The version of a Bushwacker drink that I am sharing with you in this post has a texture more similar to an Icee. It is refreshing and not too heavy!
I will warn you that the Bushwacker is one of those drinks that is way stronger than it tastes so proceed with caution.
Here is our favorite Bushwacker drink recipe! This is part of a series about southern cocktails if you want to check out a few more of our favorite southern cocktails!
Recipe for a Bushwacker Cocktail
- Dark rum
- Cream de Cacao
- Cream of Coconut (not coconut cream)
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Dark chocolate (for garnish)
- Shot Glass with measuring lines
- Blender that can chop ice
- We serve Bushwackers in a clear coffee mug with a base and a handle.
- The drink does tend to separate so a straw can help you to keep it mixed as you sip.
- Microplane zester to add some chocolate shavings on top of the drink
- Put the following ingredients into the blender
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 1.5 ounce Kahlua
- 1.5 ounce cream de cacao
- 1 ounce cream of coconut
- 2 ounces whipping cream
- ice – start with 1 1/2 cups of ice (add more if necessary)
- blend all together
- check the consistency and add more ice if needed
- pour into cups
- use a zester to sprinkle some dark chocolate onto the top of the drink
- serve with a straw
- enjoy the deliciousness!
That’s it! This is wonderful just the way it is but here are some changes you can make!
- You can mess around with the proportions to get the flavors just how you like them.
- If you want a little less decadence you can use half and half or even milk instead of the heavy whipping cream. However, using cream does add a little more thickness to the drink.
- Feel free to add some chocolate syrup if you want a bit more chocolate flavor in your Bushwacker cocktail.
- You can use dark or light creme de cacao
Enjoy your Bushwacker drink!
Some other cocktails that are perfect for the hot southern summers are the Texas Ranch Water and the Bama Breeze Cocktail.
Thanks for stopping by!